It’s that time of year! Gift shopping, cooler weather, rushing around, spending money, family, travel. All of these things can add to our day to day stress. This time of year, with its added stressors, can contribute to a depleted immune system. And as we know, a depleted immune system can lead to cold and flu!
The number one thing we can do to help prevent the spread of germs and avoid infection is to wash our hands frequently throughout the day. Massage therapists are a perfect example of this because we touch a lot of people every day. We avoid being constantly sick with cold or flu because we wash our hands before, after, and in between clients. http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/
But what can we do to boost our immune system? Astragalus, otherwise know as Huang-Qi, has been used in China for thousands of years as an immune booster that strengthens general vitality, improves digestion, and builds up the body’s defense against viruses. It can be found in the form of tea, tablet, or tincture. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astragalus
Some believe that boosting your immune system is the single most important thing you can do for your health. Here are 10 ideas to help boost your immune system:
- Eat fruits and vegetables every day.
- Research what supplements might be good for you. Some good ones to support a healthy immune system are vitamin C, D, and E.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Doing housework or yard work does not qualify as exercise. Actually get outside and go for a walk, hike or run, or join your local Master’s Swim team and head for the pool! You will feel great and help keep yourself healthy!
- Sleep! Get eight hours of sleep a night. Too much or too little is not ideal.
- Pay attention to your mental health. If life feels overwhelming, seek the guidance of a mental health professional. Remember, your happiness and wellbeing is important.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. Seem like a lot? Most of us are chronically dehydrated. Carry a water bottle with you, keep it full and sip on it throughout the day. You might find that your concentration and memory improve, you sleep better, look younger, and feel great!
- Be social. Spending time with friends and loved ones is a natural feel good immune booster!
- Slow down and seek serenity. Practice stress reduction techniques like meditation or yoga.
- Get a massage! (Pssst… Wake!) www.waketosoak.com
- Keep a journal. Write about what makes you happy, what you are grateful for, your dreams, goals and ideas. You will feel lighter and more clear headed having done so. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-top-20-immune-boosters.html
Let’s all do our best to remain happy, healthy, and stress free this winter! Begin your Winter stress reduction and indulgent immune booster NOW with a relaxing visit to Wake!