[vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”3366″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][vc_column_text]
Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Powder
(Say that five times fast!)
Serene Waves are gracing their presence at Wake this month.
What is the Serene Waves foot soak, you ask? Every month we have a special off-menu foot soak that we feature for the whole month. The Serene Waves foot soak is our feature soak for the month of June! It is creating quite a splash around here with a new-to-us ingredient that creates a blue Caribbean ocean effect in the water.
This soak is paired with the scents of citrus, juniper, and lavender. You will think you were whisked away to a tropical island. The star ingredient of this month’s soak is butterfly pea flower powder! We were super excited to discover this magical ingredient because of how it turns the water a dreamy blue color but we were also pleasantly surprised to discover all the amazing benefits it has.
Butterfly pea flowers are indigenous to countries in Southeast Asia where people have been using the flowers to make a highly antioxidant tea for centuries. The traditional tea called ‘dok anchan’ is made from steeping the flowers until the color bleeds into the water. Steeping the flowers releases antioxidants much like green tea. It is served either iced or hot with honey and lemon. Resorts and hotels often serve it to their guests when they first arrive.
Our staff’s enthusiasm for the blue butterfly pea flower was overtaking us, so we decided to do some experimenting and made some tea with the deep blue powder. We were pleasantly surprised with the rich-tasting woody and earthy flavor. We also played around with the changing-colors effect. One of the things we love about this powder is its ability to turn color when acidic ingredients such as lemon are added. In its purest form when mixed with water, it creates a deep blue color but will change different hues from lighter blue to purple to magenta depending on how much acidity is added! Test it on your own and see what gorgeous colors you can create.
Here are some other amazing facts:
- Because it is chock full of antioxidants, blue butterfly pea flower powder also has great benefits for the skin. It is known to diminish wrinkles and protect skin from premature aging.
- Blue butterfly pea flower powder has been said to fight inflammation and is soothes breakouts and rashes.
- The powder is known to relieve minor aches and pains due to its analgesic properties.
- Blue butterfly pea flowers are said to be excellent for brain health since it is packed with nutrients.
- This powder is slowly making its appearance in bars in the United States in traditional tiki or tropical drinks by making them blue in color without using artificial colors or dyes.
- Blue butterfly pea flower powder is used in a variety of bath products such as soaps and bath bombs.
- The powder is more widely used in Thailand in their mixed drinks and sweet rice desserts and puddings.
- The blue butterfly pea flowers grow on vines and are particularly abundant during monsoon season. They bloom around 6 in the morning and only last for 24 hours!
We hope you will come experience all that the Serene Waves package and butterfly pea flower powder have to offer. It will be available throughout the month of June and then it will go out with the tide. Come try your truly magical experience. [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][/vc_column][/vc_row]