Five little known Soap Facts
One of my favorite items to shop for is soap! I love all natural and organic soaps that are made with essential oils. There is nothing like bathing with a specially chosen bar of soap and emerging from the experience feeling fresh and smelling good! Here are some little known facts about its origin:
1. The first concrete evidence we have of soap-like substance is dated around 2800 BC. The first soap makers were Babylonians, Mesopotamians, Egyptians, as well as the ancient Greeks and Romans.
2. Soap got its name from Mount Sapo in Rome. The word sapo, Latin for soap, first appeared in Pliny the Elder’s Historia Naturalis.
3. The ruins of Pompeii, one of the cities destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 A.D., revealed an entire soap factory.
4. The ancient Greeks were known to wash without soap. They preferred to wash with water, blocks of clay, pumice, sands and ashes. Following this they anointed themselves with oil.
5. Commercial soap, as we know it today, came into existence during WWI.
At Wake, we favor our shop and Farmer Jane brand soaps. We have a great selection of organic scents for you to choose from. Some of our favorites are: Chocolate (DFTBA), Appalachia, Honey Oatmeal, and Lemongrass Shea. www.wakefootsanctuary.com www.farmerjanesoap.com
Come check out our entire selection of soaps and let us know which ones are your favorite!